aqua scroll template

Monday, March 19, 2012

Vintage doorknob photo display

Hi guys! I saw this idea on the cover of Somerset Homes magazine (or maybe it was Somerset Life) the other day and had to give it a whirl. I had all the bits needed. I bent the wire into a scrolly heart shape.
I glued it into a vintage china doorknob.I added glitter to cover the glue and a vintage shabby jewelry clasp.
The center is another vintage art Deco sparkly bit and an antique chandelier button prism.
Number 2 is bent a bit differently. This one could hold 2 photos.. one top and one bottom.
The center heart is an old metal heart that had scratched in initials J + B.. one of those things you gave your "girlfriend" in 4th or 5th grade. WE had ID bracelets at my school. Of course the only guys that wanted to give me one I didn't like so no bracelet for me! Playground loves..they would send some friends to ask you if you wanted to "go" with him. If yes he spent $5 and got you an ID bracelet. You "went together" for a couple weeks or a month and broke up..always on the playground in front of everyone! Either he sent his same fleet of friends over demanding his bracelet back or you sent your fleet of friends over giving the bracelet back to him."She doesn't like you anymore!" How crushing! LOL.
I layered a large mother of pearl button and another shabby jewelry clasp bit on this one to jazz it up a bit.
There are chandelier button prisms on the lower loops and a mother of pearl button on the old brass knob..with glitter of course! This is one of my fav old photos..I don't know who they are but they look happy! I refer to him as Jude Law...killer eyes!
The last one has a vintage earring and "pearls" encircling the base.
And a bit from a necklace or bracelet in the middle. Not sure yet where these are going to end up... online, or booth. I still have more vintage wallpaper giftbags to share but I think I am going to make another post of it. My posts tend to be ginormously long! Til next time! Julia

4 comments:

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

What a cute idea! Great use for those fab old doorknobs.

Debbie @ OtRD said...

What a lovely creation! Such a great way to display your photos.

Paige @ Little Nostalgia said...

How funny about the ID bracelets! We never had that when I was a kid. People didn't really "go out" at my elementary school, there was just talk of so-and-so "likes" so-and-so.

Nice use of those old doorknobs! I always want to buy them, but they won't work in our modern doors that well. Maybe I'll have to try this.

holly said...

Can't believe you transformed the doorknobs like that! You can't even tell and they look so charming.

That vintage photo is so sweet too- I love looking at styles from back then, and wondering whatever came of the people.

♥ Holly