aqua scroll template

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Signs, Signs Everywhere There Are Handpainted Vintage Style Signs..


 I was a child when that song was popular, so I may have mixed up the lyrics a bit.WHAT have I been up to? Last Saturday we went to an antique sale in Columbia, TN. The pic above is part of our trailer. It started down pouring at the end of the sale so we got to drag everying through a mudhole, and up a muddy hill to the trailer.We got filthy. We also got 2 harvest tables, 3 church pews,40 6 and 9 paned windows, 3 antique beds..one brass, one wrought wire and one Victorian gingerbread. There was a table with a tree branch bottom, 2 mirrors, a mattress spring and all the stuff we put in the back of the Explorer.  I did see the biggest snowball bush I've ever seen there. It was 10 feet x 10 feet x 10 feet and covered on blooms!


Gorgeous!!


 Also 2 buckets of barn hinges that I could not even lift. I was saving them for last for either Ed to haul up the hill or me and Jack would have had to break them up into 4 trips instead of 2. One of the young helper dudes just picked them up and ran them right up to the trailer! I said OMG I couldn't even lift those! He said "I can't feel my arms!" LOL Very gentlemanly.


 The mattress springs Ed cuts apart to sell the springs..much easier to ship! People buy them for upcycled art projects. I may save a few for me!


 Ed had to unload the trailer from out last trip before we left. I forgot what was even IN there!. There was this barn door I bought for no real reason. There was also a table that had a bad top that Ed bought for the legs...and now...


 Ta-Dah! I had him even up the end and  take the one remaining leaf off the table and we attached it on top..cool no? The rope doorpull will have to go. We have a large show this coming Saturday in Clinton, TN ( The Clinch River Antique Fair) It is always a good show and I am hoping for no rain! We have more things than we can even take.

 I am leaving the top as is so whoever buys it can stain it (or not) and wax or varnish it however they want.

 Also the chippy base stays. I'd sand it down and use some chalk paint on it if it was me.


 These 4 antique cabinet door panels were also hanging out in the trailer from our previous trip. Before...



 and after!I bought a stack of old wood there with the thought that it would make a good sign base.


 This one I used gold metallic paint..it photographed sort of white, but it is very gold. I did this font ONCE  and decided too fussy for any more! (Or I am too lazy!)


 I did a couple farmhouse signs. This one is black and grey..


 and this one shabby white.The glaze and tinted wax really change the color. (How tos to come next post)

 I used color on this one. I know you are supposed to keep things neutral to sell them, but dangit..I like color!

 I left the old chippy milk paint under and painted right over. It really adds texture and an old look you can't get with a new board.


 This stables sign is going to get an old rusty horseshoe on the top.


 This paint was really chippy. I stabilized everything with a wood glue and water mix first..it also makes the new paint crackle.


 The next 2 were old crate sides. They didn't have any graphics so...


 I went with black and white for these 2.


 This was a piece of oak from a piece of furniture..not quite sure what. I used a more modern font
and creme and brown paint.

 On some of these I added shadows for depth.

 Another chippy old cabinet panel. I tried to save some of the sage green under paint (hard to see here) Cottonwood Lake is the lake I used to swim in as a kid. By July it could be about as green as this paint! My "miles" got a bit wonky, but hey..authenticity!

 Another door panel. I did not paint the base of this just left it as is.


 I couldn't bear to cover those great crackles!

 This was an entire cabinet door. Again I left the original paint.


 I am going to add an old hardware drawer pull bit over this blank space.I have a lot of those.


 Again...great crackles!

 I think these last 2 are my favs. They are also cabinet doors. I left the original sage green paint.


They still have the hinges which you could hang them by. If they don't sell at Clinton, they will end up in my Etsy shop. Soooo much more to do before the show! Stop back and see what! Til next time! Julia

No comments: